Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Resumes w/ email addys, Multicultural Culinary Experiences, 9/11

OK..so maybe I am being overly critical about this first one. So I was in a co-worker's office yesterday and she had a stack of resumes on her desk for a recently opened teaching position. The top resume looked and read very professional, until I got to the person's contact information. The email address of the applicant was 'jesusfreak5@***.com' (I have blocked out the domain to preserve anonymity). Let me first say that I am all for a person believing whatever they wish to believe in. I have no issues with other people's religion (or lack there of). However, why would a person seriously use this email address on a professional resume? Why not use 'professionalteacher5@***.com'?

Today I went to a nearby, locally owned, deli for lunch and has some really grub. The first course was Tortilla Soup. It was piping hot and yummy. The main course was half a reuben, also equally delicious. It was the best 7 bucks I have spent in a while.


Yesterday, driving home, I saw a sticker on a car that stated 'Do you remember 9/11?' I thought to myself...yes I remember 9/11. But I do not dwell on it. There is a big difference, IMO, between remembering and dwelling. I completely agree that what happened that day sucked... big time. But people...can we please move on?



SOB - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUjIA3Rt7gk

[I have been on a major 80's kick lately]

Later
Geoff

1 comment:

Lisa Creech Bledsoe said...

Re the "jesusfreak" email address. I hear ya. I wouldn't have done that either, although I know lots of people who would disagree with both of us. What is likely to happen is that either @jesusfreak will be chosen by an employer who sees jesus-freakiness as an additional good thing about the candidate, or they could be cast aside by an otherwise well-matched company/job. It seems to me that @jesusfreak is fine with that, or they wouldn't use this addy. I'm guessing @jesusfreak would actually prefer to be working with a boss who applauds this in an employee.

I'm a full-time business professional. Once or twice I've considered taking my church planting and pastoring experience off of my LinkedIn resume; I have business peers who are former church leaders who have done so. We don't want to feel like we are hiding something, but we also want to be understood as serious business professionals. So we have to find ways to live in that tension. We screw it up fairly frequently :)

But the real reason I left this comment is because I LOVE tortilla soup. It's windy, gray, and raining in NC and that's what I want now for lunch.