Monday, October 20, 2008

Music and Memories

I don't know about you, but listening to music can be an effective stimulus to bring back memories both pleasant and not so pleasant. It can also trigger memories so obscure that you look back and wonder where the heck the association came from. I write this for several reasons:

1. This happens to me alot.
2. Over the last few hours, it happened so many times that I could not sleep.
3. I am wide awake at 3:48am PDT, so why not write about it.

Here is a list of songs that have played over my Yahoo LaunchCast Station, over the last few hours, that triggered an memory or emotional response. Please note that most of these are 80's and early 90's songs, as that is the time period I grew up in. Also, I highly recommend listening to these songs. It is an eclectic assembly, and all of these are now on my Creative Labs Zen 30GB.

Cutting Crew - "(I Just) Died in Your Arms": This song was playing during my first kiss. We were at summer camp in 1988, overnight at Camp Ok-Wa-Nessett (Upper Pond to be precise) Leah Martin was the first girl I kissed, and my first crush. I must say it was one of the most amazing and awkward moments of my life...shit I was only 10.

The Cure - "Just Like Heaven": This was the first song that played on my XM Radio when I started my car after I accepted my current position at the Ecke YMCA. The song had just started, I opened the windows of my Acura RSX and peeled out of the Merrimack YMCA parking lot. It was a hot, humid afternoon, and I was ELATED. I was moving to California.

Fleetwood Mac - "Everywhere": All I remember is I still to this day associate this song with watching my cousin Craig play basketball at the Sacred Heart Church in West Warwick RI. He was about 14 and I was maybe 10. Why is this? I have no freaking idea.

The Outfield - "Your Love": This is one song I cannot explain. Every time I hear it I get goosebumps. I really like this song, but I cannot remember why it creates a response. Repressed memory?

Wham! - "Careless Whisper": This song played at the Mother and Son Valentine's Day skate at Riverdale Roller World in Warwick RI. I think I was in 3rd grade...maybe 2nd. I remember my mom dragging me onto the rink. She still has the picture to this day.

The Cure - "The Flame": OK...so another camp story. You need to know that I was a sensitive kid growing up. And for some reason, I always took getting dumped by my girlfriend(s) hard. This was one was particularly brutal, because my girlfriend dumped my for my best friend at the time. Ah...to be 12 again. Anyhow, I found out when our group was sitting around the campfire and she (Danielle for those of you who care) decided to sit with my best friend (Shawn). By the time I realized that this was not a coincidence, they were taking the 'big' first step in pre-teen courting, they held hands. Being the tech savvy teen that I was, I played this song over and over in my Walkman after lights out. And yes...being the big baby that I am...I cried.

Pet Shop Boys - "What Have I Done to Deserve This?": This song came off of one of my self bought albums "Actually". I purchased the cassette and played it over and over again. I was a lucky kid, I had my own boom box with a cassette player...Oooo Ahhhh. :) BTW...Dusty Springfield (RIP) provides some kick ass vocals.

U2 - "I Still Have Not Found What I am Looking For" - I remember watching this video in high school and being amazed by the Las Vegas lights, Edge's guitar playing, and all the random people in the video. Also the line "I believe in the Kingdom Come" still resonates with me.

Erasure - "A Little Respect" - Another one I cannot explain.

Last one....this one is a bit embarrassing...oh well

Boy Meets Girl - "Waiting For A Star To Fall" - I remember hearing this song in the car with my Mom. And for some reason, and even to this day, I like it. :shrug:

Later
Geoff :)

SOB - Did you read this post? None needed this time.

1 comment:

Lisa Creech Bledsoe said...

Ok, ok, I LOVE posts/conversations like this. Music has always been a way to track and identify certain periods in my life. Still is. So I'll tell you a small story:
Sometime in 1982 (I think I had JUST gotten my driver's license) I was in my Mom's brown VW Rabbit (hideous car) having just driven into a shopping strip mall. Something shiny in the parking lot caught my eye, and I slowly cruised into the parking space where it was, put my foot on the brake, opened my car door, reached down and picked it up: it was a casette tape of the Heavy Metal soundtrack.

My life was NEVER the same. Before that I listened to pop 40; suddenly a whole new world opened. I wore that cassette tape completely out!